Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

This is a very, very sad story.

I've just learned that fellow blogger and grad student Badger lost her young husband to terminal liver cancer on Monday. Badger has written eloquently about the horrors she and her family have had to face at the hands of our barbaric national health care system, as well as the incredible pain of watching her partner die, and many of us in the blogging community have been both angered and saddened by her situation. I'm feeling a lot of sorrow for her and her twelve-year-old son today.

Mary McKinney, a.k.a Academic Coach, has set up a PayPal account through which people can make contributions toward the absolutely astronomical medical costs Badger and her family have incurred. I imagine the funeral costs will not be inexpensive, either.