Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Friday, August 26, 2005

The Plot Thickens

The Inanimate Object Conspiracy has managed to recruit my new rolling briefcase, which has promptly done (in two days) exactly what my old one had taken nearly a year to do: one of the wheels became misaligned and stuck. It would not budge, so I had to just give up and drag the danged thing behind me: this, of course, led to total wheel disintegration. This means I'm back to walking like Igor.

Honestly, the last thing I need is a rolling briefcase that actually offers resistance. Particularly in the midst of this heat wave and its attendant horrible air quality. It basically means that I always feel a little as though I'm dragging a 40-pound lead weight behind me through a polluted swamp; only the swamp has brick pathways through it that reflect the heat right back up at you.

Party.

I have located a discount luggage store via CitySearch (shout-out to the old employer, there) which apparently does repairs. I'm going to go tomorrow morning to see whether they can do anything with either this bag or the old one. And, if not, maybe I'll just have to buy a new one. Again.