Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Scene

I'm back, and this is my (appropriately blurry) POV right now. Nice to be here, and I missed y'all. Hope you're doing well.

I'm not so much jet-lagged as socked-in with the radioactive Godzilla Goo that continues to occupy my sinuses. Turns out I was wise to stay put last week when things were much worse, since descending in to Big City last night had me holding my head between my knees and frantically massaging the area just above the inner terminus of my eyebrows. I don't even want to think about what it would have been like if I'd come back when I was supposed to.

Boy Roomie picked me up at the airport and we had a nice dinner before I had a joyful reunion with Mousie, made a few pathetic attempts to start in on all my post-trip chores, talked to my Mom, and passed out on the couch.

I expect to stay here for a while, catching up a bit on blog-reading, answering the odd email, and napping in between. I can't do this all day, since I have to at least clean up and unpack enough to make the apartment habitable in advance of possibly serving jury duty (joy!) for the remainder of the week.

I'll try to post some thoughts about the past few weeks and other things I've had rattling around in my head soon. Meanwhile, I can already tell, through bleary eyes, that the blogosphere hasn't gotten any nicer since I left, what with one blogger having tirades about him sent to his employer on the basis comment-war aggro and another blogger resigning her job after misogynist online harassment. Oy. Anything else I've missed?