Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Ancrene Unplugged?

I'm thinking about leaving my laptop behind when I go on my trip. I'm a little concerned about aggravating the cracked screen, but I also want to avoid adding weight to my luggage and hope to carry as little in the way of valuables with me as possible.

I figure that most of what I'll be doing in the way of notes will be in notebooks, anyway: there are too many things about manuscripts that don't transfer well into a Word document. And I'm thinking that I can go to internet cafes a few times while I'm gone to find out whether anything urgent's shown up in my inbox.

This would be a pretty drastic change for my internet-addicted self, but I think it also might be a good thing. Going cold turkey for a few weeks could at least help me break the habit of checking in with half a dozen sites first thing in the morning and opening my email at least that many times again throughout the day.

What do y'all think?