Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Zoo Thursday

Checking in from a dorm lobby to say that I'm here, I've presented, I've caught up with many friends, I've met some bloggers, I've bought a manuscript facsimilie, and all is well. I do miss Mouse something awful, but I'm having a good time.

I think my paper went well, though I had a massive attack of nerves beforehand, which Morgan (whose presentation this morning was outstanding) and Owlfish helped to see me through (thanks, you two).

Immediately upon donning the Black Pantsuit of Power, a rather blingy brooch, and The Shoes, I was convinced that I was over-doing it, that I looked tremendously silly, that I had somehow gained 10 pounds overnight, and that the outfit wasn't half as flattering as I'd thought it was in my living room at home. Maybe it was just the flourescent lights, the rather shabby full-length mirror in the hall, and the cinder-block backdrop. Maybe it was the nerves. Maybe it was my always-lurking sense that I am not and never will be a Real Medievalist. Who knows?

Anyway, I carefully minced my way down the precipitous stairs to the right building and managed to get misdirected on the way, thereby showing up a couple of minutes late, just as my (apparently very prompt) panel's presider was wondering aloud whether I'd be there. I do believe I did a solid job, even with reading the Middle English, and that I did a good job (with Morgan's and Dr. V's help!) of editing the thing down into something that still remained intelligible. I got no questions, as usual. I don't know what it is about my presentations that discourages responses, but I find the trend unsettling. I did get compliments from the presenter and others, though, and I'll take that at face value.

Now, I get to spend the rest of the conference going to sessions, socializing, and maybe doing a little book shopping in the exhibition hall. (I was very good today: I bought one thing which was an unbelievable bargain, and then chastely wrote down the titles of other items I was interested in for later reference and library hunting trips.) As several of us agreed at the blogger meet-up tonight, this is as close as I'm getting to a vacation for the foreseeable future, so I plan to enjoy the hell out of it!

As to the meet-up, it was great to meet all of you in person. Look out for those badgers!