Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Good news and a thank-you

I probably won't be posting as frequently as usual for the next little while, what with Mom's visit (which we're working hard to make the most of) and the upcoming trip to the 'Zoo (not to mention the little matter of actually editing my paper down into a talk for the conference). But I want to be sure to tell you about a bit of very good news I got today: I've been awarded a fellowship for next year!

This is truly marvelous, since it should allow me to get a good three dissertation chapters written before the end of the year, as well as work up some languishing projects for publication, putting me in good shape to enter the job market in 2007. Honestly, I am more relieved than I can possibly say.

I want to thank those of you who offered sympathies, condolences, advice, and encouragement during the process of applying and waiting for this news. This little blog, blotchy and bitchy as it frequently is, has allowed me to participate in a truly challenging and inspiring online community that has helped me immensely during a very stressful period. I want to be sure to tell you about the happier times, too--and to tell you how much I appreciate your help in getting to this point.

Seriously, I totally love you guys.

And I'm not saying that because I'm drunk, though I do plan to have a couple of fingers of Talisker on the rocks later tonight by way of celebration.