Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

K'zoo packing list

Okay, I have gotten so much advice on what I ought to bring (or not bring) to K'zoo in order to survive in the dorms and elsewhere that my head is spinning. So I'm going to make a very completist list here for my own reference, hoping that it might be useful to others, as well.

--bedside lamp or reading light of some kind
--shower shoes
--towel
--light blanket
--pillowcase (and maybe sheets? maybe even a pillow?)
--band-aids
--a pair or two of flats that will fit neatly into a handbag, in case my new pairs of heels make my feet hurt
--shoe inserts
--anti-skid adhesives for shoe bottoms (last three items because, apparently, the buildings are very spread out, making for lots of walking)
--umbrella
--raincoat (last two items included because weather.com says it's going to be drizzly)
--clear nail polish (to stop runs in hose)
--sunglasses
--hat
--sunblock (last three items included because anecdotal evidence points to occasional, surprise heat waves and I am a pasty-pale, light-sensitive, cave-dweller type)
--hangers
--alarm clock
--layer-able clothing (because it looks as though the weather will be as hot as the 70s and as cold as the 30s while we're there)
--plastic bags
--travel iron
--earplugs
--extra undies, socks, and pairs of hose
--CD Walkman (because I can't afford an iPod), headphones, CDs
--extra batteries for everything

Anybody want to add anything?