Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Hugs!

It's been a very "huggy" day today.
  • Mouse gave me a particularly enthusiastic kitty-hug this morning, making me about three times sadder to be leaving him behind for five days.
  • Kindly Prof hugged me in the hallway for getting a fellowship. Awww. See? Kindly.
  • I want to hug this man, having read about his breathtakingly brave and deliciously Swiftian comments (a transcript of which appear at the end of this article by Chris Durang, with further commentary and video links here) at the White House Correspondents' dinner. It's still Jon Stewart whose babies I'd have for the good of all humanity (you know, strictly as a progressive eugenics project). But I wouldn't kick Mr. Colbert's genetic material out of the turkey baster, either.