Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Feet in the shit, head in the clouds.

Beautiful discussion in my class today. Just beautiful. One of the best classes I've ever had; the kind of thing that makes you stand taller, breathe deeper, and think, "Okay, that's why I do this stuff. And yes, there is a point to wading through the waist-high shit, after all, if it leads to two hours as marvelous as those." It derailed my entire lesson plan, but I just let it go, because, well, sometimes you have to discuss what needs to be discussed rather than what you thought you were going to discuss.

I also realized that I really have to start taking my own advice. I need to start doing some freewriting for this dissertation thing. I have to make the vastness of the task less daunting. I have to start filling up the void with something.

Of course, now I have to roll up my sleeves and get to work on the huge pile of papers I agreed to grade for a faculty member. Just from the few I've read, I can tell it'll be a painful process, but at least I have those two hours this morning to keep me going.