Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tournament results

More than twelve hours after I first arrived at the dojang, the tournament is over. I don't think I have ever spent that much time actively watching a sporting event in my life. Given that the whole thing took place in a dojang with no air conditioning on a particularly hot and muggy day and given that I was too engrossed to eat between 11am and 9pm, I'm both wiped out and ravenously hungry. Fortunately, I feel okay about rewarding myself with delivery Thai food and an early bedtime because I managed to place 2nd in sparring in my division!

Okay, there were only four women in my division. But I only lost by one point against a tough fighter, and I'm still pleased. So there.

I didn't place in forms, having flubbed at least one move. But that was a close competition, too, and I was up against people who've been training for some time, so I don't feel so badly about that.

Here's hoping I'll be able to show you a more toned torso if I place again next year.