Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Just for the record

I did manage to post a set of summer goals today, but they had to be fairly specific, so I've posted them elsewhere to avoid giving away too much. I've got a lot to get done before the next school year, so here's hoping I can manage to pull out of this slump and that my dizzy spells, oversleeping, and other weird symptoms will fade soon, with or without medical intervention.

Thanks for your advice on the job I mentioned in my last post: I did decide to turn it down. I've gotten another job offer for the new school year, but it involves counseling undergrads, so Kindly Prof is advising me not to take it, saying he suspects it'll end up taking too much time away from my dissertation. He may be right, and I'm pondering what to do. I also am still waiting to hear about another job that would begin during the summer.

You know, it's hard to overstate how difficult it is, as a grad student, to figure out what the right balance is between ensuring a reasonable amount of financial security and finishing one's degree within a decade.

Hoping to return to more regular postings soon.