Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Letter to a student

Dear Too Cool for School,

I realize that it's the end of a long, hard school year. In fact, I doubt many people feel more burned out than I do right now, but we're all in this together.

So how about you try not exempting yourself from the normal rules of respectful social interaction to start listening to your iPod during the last half of a discussion class? Do you have any idea what an obnoxious twit that makes you out to be? Do you not remember that part of your grade is determined by your classroom participation, and do you truly think this kind of stupidity won't count against you?

I didn't call you out on this crap during class today because I had a hell of a lot of material to cover before the end of the meeting and didn't want to waste our valuable time on your rudeness. But you'd better believe that I will stop the proceedings to confiscate your iPod the next time you do it, just like they did in elementary school when you were reading the comics instead of doing your homework.

I realize summer's almost here, but it ain't here yet, and I'm still paying attention to your behavior. You should be, too. In other words, act like you've been raised.

Thank you,
Ancrene

------------

Yes, I did really send this student an email. No, this is not the actual text of that email. I kinda wish it had been, though.