Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Senioritis?

I'm nearing the end of a particularly grueling academic year, and my brain seems to have decided that it is quitting about a month early. Caffeine cannot counteract the aphasia that's setting in at this point, nor can full nights of sleep counteract the bone-weariness I'm feeling now that the end is in sight. And, to be perfectly frank, I seem to be incapable of making myself give a damn about much of anything for more than a few minutes at a time. I'd hoped that being brainless for the majority of the weekend would help, but it hasn't. I can't tell whether my shopping- and video-watching spree failed to recharge my batteries because I'm just that worn out or actually made things worse by allowing inertia to set in.

Either way, it's rather unfortunate, seeing as how I have no savings to fall back on and therefore desperately need to find a summer job, like, now; have to finish teaching and grading for my comp class; really should already be studying for the upcoming and terrifying paleography exam; and generally need to manage to act like a professional and reasonably intelligent person.

Anybody got any suggestions about how I can yank myself out of this state of general uselessness?