Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sleep less, get fat.

Have you heard about the study which concludes that sleep deprivation may decrease women's metabolisms, therefore causing them to gain weight and have a harder time taking it off?

I would love to blame my past year's weight gains on this, but I suspect that stress eating has had a more direct effect.

A la Twisty, I'm also going to note that this is yet another scientific study which focuses on weight gain in women. Does this phenomenon not affect men, or does our culture just think it matters a lot less whether a guy gains 33 pounds over a 16-year period? I kinda suspect it's the latter.

Still, I need to start sleeping more on a more regular basis.