Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Random Bullets of Goodness

Good stuff I want to record from the past couple of days:
  • I plowed through my email backlog tonight: it's now down from 206 to 75!
  • I have two little jobs lined up to help ends meet in June and July. I still need either a regular gig or a whole bunch of other little jobs, but this is a move in the right direction.
  • I have leads on a few more jobs and got an email back from one person who said she wished she were hiring because she liked my application so much.
  • Just when I was running entirely out of money and wondering whether I actually would manage to get to the end of the month without bouncing a check or a debit-card charge, I discovered a misplaced stash of moolah.
  • I have been allowing myself to read for pleasure (so naughty!) on the bus and occasionally during the evenings for the past week, so I finally got around to reading Watership Down.
  • At some point since the last time I tried, it apparently has become okay to listen to R.E.M. again. It's nice to finally have that particular chunk of musical real estate back from Ex #1.
  • I've generally been listening to music more while I'm working or puttering around the house. It's amazing how much nicer life is with a soundtrack; it's also amazing how many things I've been unnecessarily denying myself this year.
  • In a related development, I'm re-discovering Web-based radio stations. I give Radio Paradise a hearty endorsement. I'm still on the fence about Americana Roots Radio and Boot Liquor Radio, both of which seem a little more uneven and slightly less computer-work friendly for me. Maybe they'd be better for housecleaning (which I definitely need to do).
  • The General, who wasn't being done well by in terms of departmental funding for next year, snagged a Brand-Name Hipster Fellowship instead. Niiiice.
  • I am allowing myself to spend the majority of the day tomorrow doing important non-academic things like buying groceries, going to the dojang, visiting people, applying for work, and getting more emails taken care of.
  • I can get away with that because this is a three-day weekend.
  • I have been getting a bit more sleep, on average, lately. This is a good thing. I'm nearly like a person when I sleep more.

Speaking of which, I need to go to bed. G'night.