Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Friday Poetry Blogging: In Memoriam, Mother Virago

Dr. Virago's mother passed away late Tuesday night. I only met Mother Virago once, but I know she was a strong and lovely person who will be deeply missed.

Dr. V. found one of Christina Rossetti's poems marked in her Mom's Victorian poetry anthology and is planning to read it at the funeral service. It's a beautiful and fitting tribute, and I'm offering it for this week's Friday Poetry Blogging in honor of a good friend and the mother who helped to make her so wonderful.

"Remember"
Christina Rossetti

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.