Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Survivor: Bad Idea Island

I know I just said I probably wouldn't be posting much, but you really ought to check this out.

Why re-introduce racial segregation in sports? Well, Jeff Probst says it's certainly not for the sake of sensationalism and increased ratings! It's because people had complained about the show lacking diversity and because we'll get to see "new slang, new rituals--people doing things like making fire in ways that haven't been done [before] on Survivor."

Yes, that's right. This is all in the interest of scrutinizing the "strange" habits of people whose background isn't predominately European--in the name of multiculturalism.

I wish I had made this up.