Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Over and out

The first two days of the new term have come and gone. I spent most of them in varying states of denial and was flat-out crabby on Friday for no discernable reason other than being just plain unprepared to start teaching again.

But I am guardedly optimistic: This is an upper-division course, so I will not feel compelled to do so much hand-holding. And, indeed, I have some reason to hope that it might not even be necessary. I also have at least four students I've taught before, two of whom are particular favorites of mine, and there seem to be some bright and eager sparks among the students I don't already know. I also have an anxious Dubliner who's trying to figure out how to negotiate the American university system, and I was able to reassure her by talking her through some of the differences. My inner Mama Hen is glad that student's in my section so I can keep an eye on her. Cluck, cluck.

There is no denying, though, that I'm worn out and not at all up to speed. I have just about zippo ambition and very little stick-to-it-iveness. Given the opportunity, I'd gladly read more novels, watch more movies, eat some more, hang around with friends, dally with Geek Boy, and nuzzle Mouse. Not to mention sleep. I think I could literally sleep for days.

Which is why it's good that I'll head back to the Old Homestead for a week on Wednesday. I need some down-time, I need to get some perspective, and there are some people I really need to see. I'm also relieved to be heading into some real fall weather for a change. Of course, this trip will probably mean I'll loads of work when I come back, but such is the way of the world.

I won't post much--if at all--for the next little while as I get ready for the trip, try to tie up loose ends, pack, and do my traveling. Perhaps, given the high crank-factor of my recent entries, this is a good thing.

When I come back, I will have to get down to business (prospective writing, truck mending, and so on) with a vengeance, and I'll probably be back to blogging with a vengeance, too.

Walk softly, carry a big stick, and may the road rise to meet you. Or something like that. I'll see ya'll in a while.