Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Yet another Harry Potter post: or, When do I get to spill the Bertie Botts Every-Flavor Beans?

With apologies to Zelda, whom I promise not to force-feed with Harry Potter fundamentalism, I am really itching to discuss theories as to What Is Really Going On at the end of Book 6. I suspect (as do associates of Michael Berube) that things are not what they would seem.

This is largely thanks to the intervention of As-Yet-Unpseudonymed (or AYU, which is what I'll call her until we consult on a suitable blog name), who nudged me into critical thinking late on the morning after I'd read the book. In my defense, I finished it at about 3am, so I was probably not at my most perceptive when I read through the events in question.

So anyway, dear and respected readers, my question is: How long do I have to wait before I can discuss my hunches, which will surely involve disclosing spoilers? Is a week from now a respectable waiting period, so long as I label the post as containing spoilers? Two weeks? A month from the publication date?

UPDATE/WARNING Since the weight of popular opinion seems to be in favor of it, I'm going to start a discussion of theories as to What's Really Going On in the comments field. So if you haven't read the book yet and don't want to see any spoilers, don't read the comments!