Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Ack.

Item 1:
It was waaay too damn hot today here in Big City: the heat felt like a big hand pushing me into the ground, commanding me not to breathe or move or think. Not good weather for the only day of the week on which I had a free afternoon to get work done.

Item 2:
I have so much to do right now that I really don't know what to tackle next. Working 9 to 5 nearly every day at two different jobs while also trying to help Boy Roomie settle in, tie up the loose ends of all the projects I started last month, polish off an annotated bibliography by the end of this month, get Lillith back on the road, grade papers, and revise a syllabus/develop a course reader for the class I'll be teaching in two weeks all at the same time is kinda overwhelming. Despite a solemn promise to myself based on the need to pretend that I have my shit together, I have not been making my bed in the morning for the past three days.

I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm not sure I had much of a choice. Reconstruction is messy and labor-intensive.

Item 3:
I am completely exhausted.

Item 4:
I have a backlog of 140 emails in my inbox. If yours happens to be one of them, I apologize, and I'll try my best to get back to you as soon as I possibly can.