Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Not-Friday Poetry Blogging: Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I'm late with the poetry this week, but this one's very nice indeed, so I hope that makes up for my tardiness.

Some of you probably the title of this poem, but I'm withholding it for the moment, because one of the reasons I especially like this poem is for the qualities it shares with Old English riddles: short, cryptic, evocative. If you want to try guessing the title, make sure not to look below the poem's last line before you have your answer ready.

-------------------------------------

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the sun in azure lands,
Ringed with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbolt he falls.







----------------

The poem's title is "The Eagle"