Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Just Checking In


The Wiseass Professional To-Do list from this weekend:
--Write draft of dissertation fellowship application due in the middle of the month and send to Kindly Prof and Second Reader
--Write draft of travel fellowship application due in the middle of the month and send to Kindly Prof and Second Reader
--Write paper abstract for conference (due Tuesday)
--Send all the above drafts to sympathetic friends who might be willing and able to proofread them for me.
--Re-read texts assigned to my comp students for Tuesday
--Grade one set of quizzes
--Grade one set of papers

I have finished all but the last two items and must now, somehow, complete those tasks and come up with a decent lesson plan by 4pm tomorrow--without skipping class at the dojang.

Wah.

Really, I was doing a pretty good job of keeping on task by playing Absent-Minded-and-Perhaps-Even-Vaguely-Discourteous with pretty much everyone who crossed my path, by not returning a hell of a lot of phone calls and emails (for which I apologize, if any of you happen to be among the ranks of the neglected), and by wearing whatever happened to be lying around my bedroom when I got up in the mornings. But one of those applications took much, much longer to research and write than I'd thought it would, so I got thrown off my pace.

All of which is to say to you, my blogfriends, that I may have to absent myself from your company for a few more days. But I promise to return and reply to all your recent comments, as well as read entries over at your places, just as soon as I can.