Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Hey! Look over there!

To give you something more interesting to do than listen to my whinging:

Belle has a post up about her 14-year-old nephew, who's having trouble with his writing. I'd argue that he's mostly having trouble with the arbitrary dictates of that Great Horror, the Five-Paragraph Essay, and I've proposed one potential approach. Anybody else have advice to offer?

La Lecturess made me aware of this professional wiki during the weekend: nifty! That could come in handy.

A very good explanation of "why academic dishonesty is bad" for students as well as for instructors and schools over at Casting Out Nines. (Thanks to Prof. Howard of Schenectady Synecdoche for bringing it to my attention.)

Back to the grading . . . .