Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Monday, February 06, 2006

I break my blogfast to bring you stuff that'll ruin your breakfast

Two good friends of mine, both much missed, recently moved away from Big City. Such is the nature of grad school, that we will sometimes meet people who not only don't drive us insane, but whom we love dearly. And then, one day, either they or we will move away.

Nonetheless, through the power of the Internets, one half of this fine couple has sent me a fine couple of links. Namely:

1) Uh, Spicy Gelatin Garnish? I think I'll pass. But if you want to make some, here's where to find the Ground Meat Cookbook.

2) And here is a stunning Gallery of Regrettable Food, featuring "The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization as Seen Through Jello." I can't look away. I have no choice but to watch it wiggle, see it jiggle.

In case y'all didn't already know, Jello and I have serious issues. I have an uneasy detente with mayonnaise, so long as it knows its place, which is clearly in various types of salads in very small amounts. But this Wiseass hasn't been on speaking terms with Jello for decades.

Seriously, people. Seriously. It is made from discarded animal parts and comes in colors not known to nature.

WTF?