Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

High on something, all right.

Via morganlf via the Manolo via Republic of T, this is one of the most astonishing things I have ever seen. Just try to experience ennui while watching it. Go on, I dare ya.

Honestly, the Hoff's pec deployment in "Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie"* completely rehabilitated him for me. But this does one better: it convinces me that he was a misunderstood genius all along.

-----------

*By the way, did you know that, in German, Spongebob becomes "Spongebob Schwammkopf" (Spongebob Swim-head)? The French version of his name doesn't mention his pants either: he's just "Bob l'eponge." (Maybe they're trying to associate him with the sans culottes or something.)

UPDATE: Letty's explained that "Spongebob Schwammkopf" actually means "Spongebob Sponge-head," which is still odd, but not as blissfully surreal as I'd thought. I think I'm marginally more disappointed by the loss of "Swim-head" as a Spongebob descriptor than I am embarrased by how awful my German is.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Even Jessica understands what the Hoff has accomplished here. And, as you know, she is not a woman who gives out fashion cartes blanches lightly.