Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

If only I could learn to live without sleeping

I'm not going to class at the dojang today because I'm just too under-prepared to teach: I promised my students I'd return a quiz to them, and I have a particularly complicated couple of exercises to set up for them, too. I'd planned to get up especially early this morning, but just couldn't force myself out of the bed quickly enough: I had an exhausting day yesterday and was on campus until after 8pm, thanks to a late student government meeting.

This is the first time I've missed class since I started training, and I hate it passionately. I've been trying very hard to confine all my teaching prep (including reading) to the two days on which I teach, so I can actually get writing done on my prospectus and take care of all the other crap I've taken on, too. But if I can't manage to prep, teach, and go to the dojang all in the same day consistently, I'm going to have to rearrange things. I can't stand how simultaneously guilty and pissed off I feel about missing training today.