Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Yellow Journalism of Yesteryear

I spent my first four, non-orientation hours on the library job today, which consisted mostly of re-sleeving and alphabetizing the collection of broadside ballads I'll be working with. This sounds dull, and it mostly was. But . . .

My supervisor has it in mind that I might be able to not only make a searchable database for this collection, but also turn it into an in-house publication with an introductory essay. Eeeexcellent.

And another excellent thing about today were many of the titles I came across, including

1. "Jeff Davis in Petticoats"
2. "Hoops: What a Silly Fashion!"
3. "Beware the Pope!"

. . . and, today's favorite:
"The Return of Mrs. Brigham Young," a ballad about a man whose wife eloped with Brigham Young and then returned, years later, with a gaggle of children. (One of the staff librarians notes that this sounds like a great title for a really weird horror flick. Maybe Joe Bob Briggs could do the DVD commentary.)

For a fan of the Weekly World News like Yours Truly, this stuff is just fantastic.