Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Footwear poll


Footwear again! Posted by Hello

Okay, so I'm still trying to decide whether to keep the shoes I bought yesterday (see pictures above and below). They were only $20, but even $20 is a splurge on my budget. So I have to decide whether these shoes are splurgeworthy.

I've been wanting to buy some shoes I could do a lot of walking in that don't look primarily utilitarian. But I've had very little luck finding the shoes I had envisioned. I can't decide whether this is the result of (1) a mental image of the Platonic Shoe that can never be realized in actuality, (2) my "issues" with my thick ankles (which make heels a desideratum for aesthetics, though not for walking), (3) my severely limited shoe-buying budget, or (4) an actual lack of sensible-yet-attractive footwear.

I have spent far too much time and energy thinking about these damn shoes and what they represent already. So I'm going to let the public decide. What do you think? Should they stay or should they go (back)?

(I'm not so sure about the screaming red nail polish I got with today's cheap pedicure, either. But I'm willing to try it out for a while. Feel free to offer verdicts on that, as well.)