Ancrene Wiseass

A would-be medievalist holds forth on academia, teaching, gender politics, blogging, pop culture, critters, and whatever else comes her way.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Yes, this really is yet another blog by a disillusioned grad student. I sympathize, but that's just the way it has to be. For hints as to what my bizarre alias means, click here and here and, if needed, here and here. To get a sense of what I'm up to, feel free to check out the sections called "Toward a Wiseass Creed" and "Showings: Some Introductory Wiseassery" in my main blog's left-hand sidebar. Please be aware that spamming, harassing, or otherwise obnoxious comments will be deleted and traced.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

It's off

There will be no wedding this summer. And it doesn't look very likely that there's going to be a wedding for me and Stan at all.

This is all very sudden and very devastating. It wasn't my idea, and I'll be perfectly honest: I have no idea how to get through it. I know, with a certain fatalism, that I will get through it. This is because I've proven, more than once, that I'm just too damn stubborn to quit.

It's just that I thought I had a shot at being happy and making somebody else happy. I thought I had something sure. And now, I don't. So all I have is my cussedness to fall back on, because I'm alone all over again.